Monday, February 13, 2012

The Lesson of Maroon-Covered Faces

     Sometimes, kids have the best ideas. We adults don't always want to admit this, because we assume we know better than the younger generation, but kids can sometimes impress and amaze with their creativity, ingenuity, and bright ideas. I mean, just watch a few episodes of Saved By the Bell and you'll see firsthand how Zack and the gang came up with some pretty great ideas. Who could forget "Zit Off" (Crater-face Coburn couldn't)? Or the video yearbook/video dating service concept to enhance the school yearbook? How about Zack's scheme to utilize subliminal advertising to hypnotize Belding and Kelly (at least he learned to apply the lesson)? And of course, perhaps the most genius idea of all...Buddy Bands! ("hey, they work")
     I found out recently that its no different in my classroom. I have been constantly trying to improve my AP US History class ever since I started teaching the subject four years ago. I can never seem to be satisfied with how I teach the class and how I can best prepare my students for the AP exam at the end of the year. This year, I noticed students struggling on tests and having difficulty staying engaged during the class (hard to blame them since it is a 7 AM class!) So last week I decided to ask the students...how can I better serve you? I asked them what they would add to, or take away from the current class structure to make it the most ideal class for them. This led to a spirited discussion where students shared opinions, learning preferences, and wishes. Obviously not all their ideas were realistic, but there were enough suggestions that I could easily comply with: more review for tests, daily practice questions, shorter lectures (not a real surprise there), recorded lecture podcasts, small discussions/debates. My hope is that as I begin to implement this personalized approach, it will lead to results in my students' performance.
     Time will tell if these are great ideas, but it has made me think recently about how accountable I am to my students. I truly believe that I work for my students so that they can reach their greatest potential. Like many teachers, I repeat lessons and activities each year because I think they work and are effective. At the same time, however, I know that my students are different each year. There's no guarantee that last year's lessons will result in this year's success. I get new ideas from my colleagues but sometimes they don't translate in my classroom and with my personality/teaching style. I know administrators occasionally come in to evaluate my teaching, but I usually pre-determine what they see and purposefully demonstrate one of my better lessons that utilize multiple good teaching strategies.
       The trick is for teachers to be vulnerable with the very group of people they're supposed to act "perfect" in front of...our students! Since they are in the classroom each day and have a great deal of responsibility in the learning process, shouldn't they know what's best? This doesn't mean that I turn the entire class over to my students' whims (I can only imagine the "study hall" every day experience). But when it comes to becoming a better teacher, sometimes my students have a "Buddy Bands" idea that needs to be allowed to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment