Friday, October 21, 2011

Stupid Johnny Dakota...


     “There’s no hope with dope!”…ah, yes, the catchphrase from the Saved By the Bell drug episode. You know, when famous actor Johnny Dakota comes to Bayside to film an anti-drug commercial using Zack and the gang, but it turns out that Johnny smokes marijuana and offers some to Zack and Kelly (yeah right, because Hollywood actors always invite high school students to their parties) so he proves he’s a hypocrite and the students quit on the commercial. Mr. Belding was so proud that they turned down a chance for fame and did the right thing. It was one of those “serious” episodes where the characters were role models for young viewers like myself. In fact, it was an example of an “inspirational” moment on Saved By the Bell, right up there with taking on the big oil company on behalf of dead animals, saving “The Max” with an all-night radio-a-thon, and helping a homeless father and daughter during the holidays (hey…I thought she moved in with Zack…)
      As teachers, we sometimes (or frequently) have plenty of reasons to be discouraged and to lose hope when it comes to our profession or students. It can be quite saddening to hear about a student’s personal problems at home (parents divorcing, sick loved ones) or watch them struggle to stay afloat in your class academically (can never seem to pass a test or turn in homework). And it can be pretty frustrating to handle the students who seem to purposefully cause behavior problems on a daily basis. Just last week there was even drama at my school over conflict between some teachers and our principal. It is stuff like that that makes the teaching job suck. It makes me come home and breathe out a huge, depressing sigh once I hit the couch. I love what I do, but every year, I have my moments of feeling disheartened.
      Fortunately, I was inspired. I held a mock trial for the Boston Massacre where students act as the witnesses and lawyers and jury. They get character role-sheets but have to create their own testimony and cross-examination and opening/closing statements. They do 100% of the work and all I do is guide and offer suggestions. When they presented, I was blown away. Everyone was so prepared and there were several moments where the classroom felt just like a real courtroom. A few days earlier, some of my students invited me to join their Facebook group where they post their own poems (some silly, many serious). I can’t tell you how impressed I was with their writing and their reflections. I couldn’t wait to share it with some of the English teachers at school, and hopefully we’ll be able to put on a Poetry Reading night at school or at a local coffee house.
      Now these are the moments that make teaching worth all the discouragement. Students have the ability to inspire all of us, even during our darkest moments. I think often teachers tend to dwell in the negative. When someone asks about our day or our classes, we often share of the troubles we are having first, rather than celebrating the positive. If we stay in the “mud” too long, we will completely miss out on the wonderful things are students have done and are doing, both in and out of the classroom. I also think we need to provide more opportunities for students to be able to shine in our classes. Too often I spend a lot of class time in front teaching or running an activity. I am inspired by other teachers at my school who create projects or assignments that allow their students to take the lead, giving them a chance to showcase their talents (my mock trial revealed I have a few young actors and actresses in my class and a couple of future lawyers…)
      Inspiration is there, sitting in my desks every day…I just need to have the right perspective to look for it. And it shouldn’t take Johnny Dakota to discover it.

1 comment:

  1. i love your entries, kevin! your'e right: there are many moments of discouragement, but way more encouraging and inspiring ones. keep on rocking on!

    ReplyDelete